USE THIS SPECIAL KEYWORD IN YOUR METADATA SO WE CAN PROMOTE YOUR CONTENT: UKGRIMEP5BRIEF
UK Grime is an innovative genre of hip hop that started in the UK in the early 2000s, and nowadays, new grime music comes up on the airways and playlists everywhere.
Fast beats, electronic noises, UK accents, and wild energy are cornerstones of grime music. Grime crews, groups of musicians who create music together and perform at underground nightlife venues, make up the grime music scene.
UK Grime History
Richard Kylea Cowie Jr. MBE, better known by his stage name Wiley, is one of the rappers credited with creating the grime sound. Wiley rapped in icy-toned lyrics about his life in London to the sound of heavy beats he called ‘eski-beats.’
With its pounding rhythm and British-accented rhymes, in 2004, Wiley’s debut album ‘Treddin’ on Thin Ice’ established Grime as a recognizable genre. After that, the musician started a group called Roll Deep with other grime musicians, including Danny Weed, Breeze, Jamma, Skepta, and Dizzee Rascal.
Most Grime musicians, except for Dizzee Rascal, remained underground, flourishing as a form of underground music aimed toward young people and gaining popularity on pirate radio stations like Rinse FM. Grime music experienced a resurgence in popularity in 2016. New musicians like Stormzy and Bugzy Malone brought this genre into the mainstream.
Grime is an eclectic mix of music genres and techniques, including UK garage music, techno, jungle music, and many more subgenres combined with rap and several UK musical subgenres that were popular in the 1990s.
- Grime is an eclectic mix of music genres and techniques, including UK garage music, techno, jungle music, and many more subgenres combined with rap and several UK musical subgenres that were popular in the 1990s.
- Quick beat: The average tempo of grime music is 140 bpm, giving it a very quick breakbeat and a powerful bassline.
- British accent: Grime was created in London to reflect the lives of its creators. Rappers in the grime genre often have British accents, distinguishing this form of music from American hip-hop. Urban life is a common theme in grime music. Many artists focus on life in gangs, money, social status, and other related topics.
Pond5 Examples of UK Grime Music
Have a listen to the tracks dedicated to the genre and get inspired for your next production.
Submit tracks in length between 2 and 5 minutes
The tempo should be between around 140 BPM
Rapped lyrics are a great advantage but don’t limit yourself to vocals
Use hip hop, sample, and sampler as instruments
- Take advantage of the 50-keyword limit and add both broad and specific keywords. Please do not use a recognizable band or artist name!
- We also encourage you to submit separate :15 and :30 versions of these tracks for social media use.
- Please note you can apply tags to existing tracks in your portfolio.
Check out more Music Briefs here.